Sunday 28 February 2010

culture of greed

In the light of Robbie Keane's loan deal to Celtic, where he earns an incredible £65,000 a week, the morality of footballers wages has been in my mind quite a lot. Keane is an excellent player but nobody is worth that amount of money. For that kind of money Keane is morally obliged to score at least five goals a game, do extensive charity work and find a cure for cancer. I don't want to focus solely on Keane, as there are some players on twice that wage in the English Premiership. If I was in a similar position, a top player with the leverage to demand £65,000, I would find myself in a moral dilemma. I could take the wages and look after my family and give most to charity. Or I could make a stand and settle for a more modest wage (say 3 or 4 grand a week, which is still a huge salary) and let the media know about it and why I am doing it. In an ideal world FIFA would impose a maximum wage structure but that's never going to happen. I just hope that someday a brave footballer is going to speak out about this culture of greed and immoral wages. But there is no point in just speaking out about it. You would have to put your money where your mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment