Saturday 21 August 2010

Kevin Bridges at the Edinburgh Festival

It's that time of year again. The Edinburgh Festival has arrived with it vast spectrum of the weird and wonderful. Like last year my friends and I have focused soley on comedy again and to kick things off we went to see the rising star that is Kevin Bridges. Although he has blazed his way onto the comedy circuit in the last year I had never actually seen him in action. He had completely sold out his run at the festival and extra dates were added due to massive public demand, so to say that I expected great things from this young Glaswegian comedian would be accurate. As Tony, Alan and I queued outside the Assembly Music Hall on a fair Friday evening I was handed a flier advertising Kevin Bridges. There were quotes from various magazines and newspapers heralding him as 'the master of stand up at just 22' and 'the most exciting talent in Scottish stand-up'. My levels of expectation were now even higher. So, was he any good? Well, to say that he is 'the master of stand-up' is quite an exaggeration but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy his set. It was good, but just not as good as I had hoped. His material was observational with a strong Scottish perspective. I was more impressed with the maturity with which he delivered his material, like a seasoned pro. Even if his material was not that funny he engineered a laugh because he has a natural gift in telling a story or a joke. I think we are still to see the best of Kevin Bridges, as he gains more experience and refines his material. He certainly has a lot of potential. I just hope he can tone down the strong and crude language. It rarely enhances the material or makes it funnier. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment