Friday 17 September 2010

Pope's visit

Unfortunately I was unwell and could not attend the papal mass. I was very disappointed personally but I was glad that everything, the mass, the crowd turnout and atmosphere, etc, seemed to be great. The media coverage was actually very positive the following day. The Pope seemed to enjoy it very much and I think he was touched by the warm and welcoming response of the Scottish people, both in Edinburgh and Glasgow. There was a few pathetic bampots who held up a 'No surrender' flag and Union Jack at a bridge overlooking the M8. Ian Paisley and a few other anti-Catholic nutters held a small protest, although not all those critical of the Pope and the Catholic Church are nutters. Ultimately Ian Paisley and his mob were far outnumbered by those glad to see the Holy Father. So I think the country will definitely be blessed in some way. How, I'm not sure, maybe in many ways that we will never know if this life. Maybe it will bring some lapsed Catholics back to their faith or renew the faith of lukewarm Catholics. The Pope was gracious and warm but he was not afraid the preach the gospel and encourage religious belief and practise. I think he got a very good balance. He praised Britain as a 'force for good', trying to recognise the democracy we enjoy and have fought for, but he also warned the young people against the evils of drink, drugs and sex (ie, promiscuity). Today, in London, he meet with representitives from the Church of England in a show of Christian unity, so I was glad to see them all pulling together in an ecumenical spirit. We have a common enemy, in the form of relativism and secularism. I think he'll have to pace himself physically over the next two days. He's 83 and does not have the same energy of John Paul 2 when he visited about 30 years ago. He does not have the same charisma and confidence of JP2 but I think he has his own gifts and qualities that have come through very strongly so far. Maybe some Catholics were hoping for a more reforming and charismatic pope but I think we should be grateful for Joe, he's a really good man and a very worthy pope.

These are just a few thoughts of an ordinary Catholic guy.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you couldn't go with being unwell, I am sure you would have enjoyed the day.

    I agree Ian Paisley is a "nutter" but I wouldn't go so far to say all protesters are ;)

    I also got the impression he wasn't too chuffed with the secularity of the UK.

    ReplyDelete