Wednesday 29 June 2011

A line in the sand

While watching a tennis match recently at Wimbledon one of the commentators mentioned that a young female player of about 19 had undergone breast reduction surgery last year to advance her career. Apparently the size of her breasts limited her movement around the tennis court and caused her back pain. Apart from other things it made me think. (I won't tell you what those 'other things' are, 'least it bring a blush of shame to the cheek of modesty', to quote the wonderful P.G. Wodehouse.) Breast surgery, whatever the circumstances, is always a big decision and it made me think of the different reasons that would prompt a woman to take such a step. In my opinion, breast surgery for medical reasons, mostly to relieve back pain I would think, is perfectly sound and irreproachable. The same irreproachability would apply to plastic surgery for people who have been badly injured or burnt in an accident and people born with facial or bodily disfigurements. This is a great achievement of medical technology and skill, and a great thing of course for the recipients. Cosmetic surgery for non-medical reasons is more of a grey area. I used to frown on all types of comestic surgery but I have become a bit more open minded in my old age. I still frown a bit though. I don't understand women who have normal sized breasts undergoing surgery to make them even bigger. I don't agree with this and I think there are deeper issues that these women should address. However, breasts are an important part of a woman's identity and femininity, and flat chested women might be feel less attractive towards men because of their small breast size. A woman's body changes in order to attract men and I'm sure every woman wants to have this attractive power over men (and boy do they use that power!) As a red blooded male of course I find breasts attractive (although I don't why). So in saying that I can understand women getting breast enhancement if they are completely flat chested. In my eyes flat chested women are no less feminine than large chested women but I am not in their shoes so I don't know how it feels. If a woman's flat chest is affecting her confidence and sense of femininity then I think breast enhancement should not be automatically condemned. I can speak to a certain extent from experience. No, I have never had breast surgery, although I am tempted to go under the knife and get my man boobs reduced. As a kid I had prominent front teeth and I wore braces for a few years as a teenager. Wearing braces is not taboo and society does not frown upon improving your appearance in this way. So what is the difference between wearing braces and relying on other forms of cosmetic surgery? I am not exactly sure. I think it is normal to want to look good, there is nothing shallow or insecure about that. But I am of the opinion that it's better to grow old gracefully and accept yourself as you are. Although it is very important to look after your appearance there are some people who take it too far and become fixated on achieving outer beauty. To what extent we focus on our appearance often depends on the state of our inner self. It's strange, in that people with self-esteem problems will react in a different way. People suffering from depression often totally neglect their physical appearance. Similiarly, people with low self-esteem will put on layers of make-up and fake suntan to feel beautiful. For the record I find women like Katie Price distinctly unattractive and artifical. Ultimately, when it comes to comestic surgery and trying to improve our apperanace I think genuine self-esteem and a sense of our own self-worth will help us gain a healthy perspective and enable us to draw a line in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment